Monday, December 29, 2008

Blogs of the Past #5...

Oh man folks, this journal entry brings tears to my eyes. Not from sadness, but from just looking back and seeing how I was back then, and where I am now. This was my first year coaching a high school girl's volleyball team, The Wildcats of Washington Christian Academy. It was my first time coaching a high school team, and yes I was alittle nervous, but you know what, we were undefeated at the end of the season.

This year's season was not a championship season, but it was a successful one in my eyes. I had a new group of girls, alot of which have never played before and by the end of the season the skill level of the new girls had increased. Like I told them, a coach's greatest gift is to see an improvement thru out the season. And alot of these girls definately showed improvements. Going to miss them all.
Enjoy the reading.

A Coach's Story
July 28, 2006 10:28 AM

Well, this week has certainly been a very interesting week. First of all it proceeds my upcoming 2 year anniversary, which actually is on July 31. We are using this weekend as our celebration. But secondly, I am the head coach for a high school girl's volleyball team. I am quite estatic. For those who know me, volleyball is like my first love when it comes to sports. I play alot of sports, don't get me wrong, it's just that volleyball has been the only sport where I feel and know that I can play this sport. It's a sport that I can just play for hours on end.

I learned volleyball from scratch back in 1991 in high school when it first came to high school boys. My first year was kind of ruff. In fact my very first game, I was a starter, and with my first hit, I was benched. Then, every practice after that, my coach pulled me from the group, and put me infront of a wall and told me he didn't want to see me bumping around, but instead hitting the ball against the wall until he said stop. I tell you this, I felt so upset and angry. (*smile*) Who would have thought that him doing that, would teach me correct body positioning to hit the ball. After that, I became a starter, in fact, as he said one practice when we had try outs and the new guys were there, "You see Channer, he's one of our hardest hitters, but still after these years, can't set". (Well, coach, I'm alot better at setting now). I don't think he knows just what he did to that young boy during that time in high school. Cause after that came community college, where that now young man spent many a times out of class and in the gym playing volleyball. Then came tournaments. Then came university and again more volleyball, but this time, he coached and loved it!

Then time passed and now in Maryland. Here he is playing in tournaments again, and now responsibile for a team of young ladies. I will tell you this, this is a major responsibility. Why? Well, because I'm in that position where I came crush or build up a dream in one of these young ladies' life. Even more major is the fact that this is a private Christian School. So, there is the spiritual responsibilty as a man, and also as a coach. My walk will need to be strong and be like a mirror reflecting Christ. I asked a parent of one of the girls on the team, "What do you expect from me as a coach?". He said to teach them Christ. To teach them that they can be competitive and still be Christ like. *smile* I have some work to do. You know God, I asked and told you that I wanted to be closer to you. Funny you allowed me to get this job, and be involved with these girls and in the process get close to you because I want to make sure I'm not pushing them from You.

Hey I found this online:

A coach listens
A coach lends support
A coach often challenges their coaches
A coach is motivational
A coach guides the coaches
A coach collaborates with coaches
A coach evolves his or her coaches
A coach asks powerful questions
A coach understands
A coach strategizes

1 comment:

  1. Although this season was not as succesful I believe in with all my heart that you are the worlds greatest coach ever.

    ReplyDelete